Southern Caramel Cake
FOR THE CAKE :
– 2 or 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
– 2 large eggs.
– 2 cups granulated white sugar.
– 2 cups of softened butter ( equal to 2 sticks).
– 1 cup of water.
– 1/2 cup buttermilk.
– 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
– 1 teaspoon baking soda.
– 1 teaspoon salt.
FOR THE FROSTING :
– 1 cup of heavy cream.
– 2 tablespoons vanilla extract.
– 1 cup butter.
– 3 cups granulated sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F then using cooking spray grease two cake pans.
2. Combine in a large bowl flour, salt, granulated sugar and whisk until well combined.
3. In a saucepan, melt butter with water and pour over the flour. Whisk until blended.
4. Slowly add baking soda, eggs, vanilla extract, and buttermilk and mix well until the batter is well combined and smooth.
5. Divide the batter between the two prepared pans then bake for approximately 20 minutes. Make sure to remove the cakes from the oven, and let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes right after you find a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, then turn layers onto parchment-covered racks to cool completely.
6. Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients except 1 cup of sugar into a saucepan, and cook on low for 3 minutes to prepare the frosting. Put in another saucepan the remaining sugar and melt until it becomes an amber color. Afterwards, add it to the first mixture, stir well.
7. Now, you should pour about 1/3 of the frosting onto the bottom cake layer, place the other layer over top, and pour the remaining frosting on top and sides. Spread evenly.
8. You can use toasted pecan halves and sprinkle powdered sugar over them for the topping.